Wednesday, September 23, 2009


I was out walking Satchmo the other day and I realized, kind of "all of a sudden", that my little man was looking old. I noticed all the grey hair on his face, muzzle, and head. I noticed that is walk was less energetic and sometimes looked painful. I realized that he has quit jumping up on the bed or onto most of the furniture; I have been lifting him up when I want him to sit with me.

I found this realization most distressing. Although I know from his last vet exam that he is very healthy and all of his lab work was normal, time is passing and aging takes it's toll no matter what. This has depressed me. Now I have something brand new to worry about.

This breed is relatively long-lived, living between 11 and 15 years on average. Satch is 9 going on 10. I guess I will have to face this fact and begin planning for the future. I know that I will do whatever I have to do to make him comfortable and to accommodate his needs. He is my "baby" and will be no matter how grey or infirm he becomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Losing a Pet: What to do to deal with the grief

Losing a pet is an experience that cuts deep. These furry, feathered, or even scaled companions become part of our families, our daily routi...